Health Literacy & Medical Adherence
Health literacy is the degree to which individuals have the capacity to obtain, process, and understand basic health information and services needed to make appropriate health decisions. Adherence is the extent to which a patient follows a healthcare provider’s recommendations. Limited health literacy and non-adherence have profound effects on clinical outcomes and quality of care in a variety of medical conditions, but have not been rigorously examined in transplantation. The Health Literacy and Medication Adherence team is a new collaboration between NUTORC and the Department of General Internal Medicine and the Health Literacy and Learning Program (HeLP). The team’s mission it to apply HeLP’s existing expertise to advance the study of limited health literacy and medication adherence in liver and kidney transplantation.
Areas of interest include:
• Assessment of health literacy and its impact on non-adherence
• Assessment of medical adherence its impact on clinical outcomes
• Assessment of the effects of frequent medication changes
• Interventions to improve medication adherence and health status
Rachel Patzer, PhD, MPH
Marina Serper, MD
10 MOST RECENT PUBLICATIONS
- Patzer RE, Serper M, Reese PP, Przytula K, Koval R, Ladner DP, Levitsky JM, Abecassis MM, Wolf MS. Medication Understanding, Non-Adherence, and Clinical Outcomes among Adult Kidney Transplant Recipients. Clin Transplant. 2016 Jul 22.
- Serper M, Wolf MS, Parikh NA, Tillman H, Lee WM, Ganger DR. Risk Factors, Clinical Presentation, and Outcomes in Overdose With Acetaminophen Alone or With Combination Products: Results From the Acute Liver Failure Study Group. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2016 Jan;50(1):85-91
- King JP, McCarthy DM, Serper M, Jacobson KL, Mullen RJ, Parker RM, Wolf MS. Variability in Acetaminophen Labeling Practices: a Missed Opportunity to Enhance Patient Safety. J Med Toxicol. 2015 Dec;11(4):410-4.
- Serper M, Patzer RE, Reese PP, Przytula K, Koval R, Ladner DP, Levitsky J, Abecassis MM, Wolf MS. Medication misuse, nonadherence, and clinical outcomes among liver transplant recipients. Liver Transpl. 2015 Jan;21(1):22-8.
- Wolf MS, Bailey SC, Serper M, Smith M, Davis TC, Russell AL, Manzoor BS, Belter L, Parker RM, Lambert B. Comparative effectiveness of patient-centered strategies to improve FDA medication guides. Med Care. 2014 Sep;52(9):781-9.
- Serper M, Patzer RE, Curtis LM, Smith SG, O’Conor R, Baker DW, et al. Health Literacy, Cognitive Ability, and Functional Health Status among Older Adults. Health services research. 2014.
- Serper M, McCarthy DM, Patzer RE, King JP, Bailey SC, Smith SG, et al. What patients think doctors know: Beliefs about provider knowledge as barriers to safe medication use. Patient education and counseling. 2013.
- Bergeron AR, Webb JR, Serper M, Federman AD, Shrank WH, Russell AL, et al. Impact of electronic prescribing on medication use in ambulatory care. The American journal of managed care. 2013;19(12):1012-7.
- Wolf MS, King J, Jacobson K, Di Francesco L, Bailey SC, Mullen R, et al. Risk of Unintentional Overdose with Non-Prescription Acetaminophen Products. J Gen Intern Med. 2012.
10 MOST RECENT NATIONAL PRESENTATIONS
- Basu M, Pastan S, Mohan S, Wolf M, Friedewald J, Ladner D, et al.. Provider Attitudes toward Shared Mobile Decision Aid Utilized among Patients Evaluated for Kidney Transplantation: iChoose Kidney Randomized Trial. American Transplant Congress; 2016; Boston.
- Serper M, Patzer RE, Ladner D, Wolf M. Medication tradeoffs, non-adherence, and clinical outcomes among kidney and liver transplant recipients. World Transplant Congress; 2014; San Francisco, California
- Serper M, Przytula K, Patzer RE, Ladner D, Wolf M, editors. Medication Tradeoffs, Non-Adherence, and Clinical Outcomes among Liver Transplant Recipients. American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases; 2013; Washington, DC.
- Serper M, Patzer RE, Przytula K, editors. Medication Non-Adherence, Treatment Understanding, and Health Literacy in Liver Transplant Recipients. American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases; 2012; Boston, MA.
- Serper M, Patzer RE, Przytula K, editors. Medication Non-Adherence, Treatment Understanding, and Health Literacy in Kidney Transplant Recipients. American Society of Nephrology; 2012; San Diego, CA.