Informed Consent & Disparities
The Informed Consent and Disparities team focuses on research to advance scientific knowledge of ethical issues in organ donation and transplantation.
Areas of interest include:
- Conducts both intervention and descriptive research on informed consent, health disparities, and communication
- Ensure ethically sound clinical practice
- Improving donor and recipient decision-making
- Developing innovative interventions to improve communication, self-care management, and health care delivery
Joseph Feinglass, PhD
Kenzie Cameron, PhD, MPH
June Robinson, MD
10 MOST RECENT PUBLICATIONS
- Thiessen C, Kulkarni S, Reese PP, Gordon EJ. A Call for Research on Individuals Who Opt Out of Living Kidney Donation: Challenges and Opportunities. Transplantation. 2016 Aug 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gordon EJ, Sohn MW, Chang CH, McNatt G, Vera K, Beauvais N, Warren E, Mannon RB, Ison MG. Effect of a Mobile Web App on Kidney Transplant Candidates’ Knowledge About Increased Risk Donor Kidneys: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Transplantation. 2016 Jul 12.
- Gordon EJ, Mullee J, Skaro A, Baker T. Live liver donors’ information needs: A qualitative study of practical implications for informed consent. Surgery. 2016 Sep;160(3):671-82.
- Gordon EJ, Feinglass J, Carney P, Vera K, Olivero M, Black A, O’Connor KG, Baumgart JM, Caicedo JC. A Website Intervention to Increase Knowledge About Living Kidney Donation and Transplantation Among Hispanic/Latino Dialysis Patients. Prog Transplant. 2016 Mar;26(1):82-91.
- Robinson JK, Friedewald JJ, Desai A, Gordon E. A Randomized Controlled Trial of a Mobile Medical App for Kidney Transplant Recipients: Effect on Use of Sun Protection. Transplant Direct. 2016 Jan;2(1).
- Singhvi A, Welch AN, Levitsky J, Singhvi D, Gordon EJ. Ethical Considerations of Transplantation and Living Donation for Patients with Alcoholic Liver Diseases. AMA J Ethics. 2016 Feb 1;18(2):163-73.
- Serur D, Gordon EJ. Kidney donors at risk: how to inform the donor. Prog Transplant. 2015 Dec;25(4):284-6.
- Lederer S, Fischer MJ, Gordon HS, Wadhwa A, Popli S, Gordon EJ. Barriers to effective communication between veterans with chronic kidney disease and their healthcare providers. Clin Kidney J. 2015 Dec;8(6):766-71.
- Gordon EJ, Feinglass J, Carney P, Vera K, Olivero M, Black A, OʼConnor K, MacLean J, Nichols S, Sageshima J, Preczewski L, Caicedo JC. A Culturally Targeted Website for Hispanics/Latinos About Living Kidney Donation and Transplantation: A Randomized Controlled Trial of Increased Knowledge. Transplantation. 2016 May;100(5):1149-60.
- Jamieson NJ, Hanson CS, Josephson MA, Gordon EJ, Craig JC, Halleck F, Budde K, Tong A. Motivations, Challenges, and Attitudes to Self-management in Kidney Transplant Recipients: A Systematic Review of Qualitative Studies. Am J Kidney Dis. 2016 Mar;67(3):461-78.
10 MOST RECENT NATIONAL PRESENTATIONS
- Gordon EJ, Franklin JE. Cutting Edge Ethical Issues in Living Donor. 2016. Chicago, IL.
- Gordon EJ. Should African American Living Kidney Donors be Tested for Apolipoprotein L1 Gene Variants? Controversies over Changing Clinical Practice to Prevent Harm, Reduce Disparities, and Improve Informed Consent. American Society for Bioethics and Humanities. 2016. Washington, D.C.
- Henderson ML, Gordon EJ. Transplant Providers have a duty to disclose emergent risks to prior living donors. American Society for Bioethics and Humanities. 2016. Washington, D.C.
- Henderson ML, Gordon EJ. Can Promoting Living Kidney Donation Be Done Ethically? American Society for Bioethics and Humanities. 2016. Washington, D.C.
- Thiessen C, Gannon J, Kennedy K, Dobosz D, Li S, Gray D, Mussell A, Gordon E, Reese P, S. Kulkarni. Who Should Decide? Potential Living Kidney Donor Preferences for Making Decisions About Risk. American Transplant Congress. Boston, 2016. MA.
- Li S, Thiessen C, Gannon J, Dobosz D, Gray D, Mussell A, Kennedy K, Reese P, Gordon E, Kulkarni S. Financial Burdens and Coping Mechanisms of Living Kidney Donors. American Transplant Congress. 2016. Boston, MA.
- Jamieson N, Hanson CS, Josephson M, Gordon EJ, Craig JC, Halleck F, Budde K, Tong A. Motivations, challenges, and attitudes to self-management in kidney transplant recipients: a systematic review of qualitative studies. International Society for Organ Donation and Procurement, 2015, Seoul, South Korea.
- Jamieson N, Hanson CS, Josephson M, Gordon EJ, Craig JC, Halleck F, Budde K, Tong A. Motivations, challenges and barriers to self-management in kidney transplant recipients: a systematic review of qualitative studies.Transplantation Society of Australia and New Zealand 33rd Annual Scientific Meeting. Canberra, Australia.
- Gordon EJ. Enhancing Informed Consent Through a Decision Aid for Kidney Transplant Candidates: A Randomized Controlled Trial of Increased Knowledge. American Society for Bioethics and Humanities (ASBH) 2014 Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA.
- Gordon EJ. A Website for Hispanics/Latinos about Living Donation and Transplantation: A Randomized Controlled Trial of Increased Knowledge. Panel: Protecting Living Kidney Donors: Empirical and Normative Advances. American Society for Bioethics and Humanities (ASBH) 2014 Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA.
This page last updated: March 16, 2014 at 5:58 pm